Avoiding distractions from your phone while driving is about more than just the potential for a ticket. You want to be a safe driver for yourself, your passengers, and others on the road. Here are the top phone settings to use when you are on the road if you want to stay as safe as possible.
- Turn it off – Of course, the best way to avoid distraction is to have your phone off altogether. However, we will consider several other options since this is not always a viable solution. For example, you may need to use your phone as your GPS.
- Manual Do Not Disturb – You can also turn the DND mode on your phone on manually. Make sure that it is set not to alert you for calls or texts. When you arrive at your location or stop for a break, you can check your phone and respond as needed.
- Driving Do Not Disturb – Most phones will allow you to set an automatic DND mode for when you are driving. This mode will alert the person who calls you that you are currently driving and will respond when it is safe to do so.
- Bluetooth – Many cars now allow you to link your phone via Bluetooth, which permits you to perform some functions legally, such as answering calls or having texts read to you.
If You Have Been Injured By a Distracted Driver in San Diego
Petrov Law Firm is here to help car accident victims maximize insurance company settlements. If the other driver was distracted, this gives you valid cause to seek compensation. Call us today at 619.344.0360 to learn more.Read More
A slip and fall accident can cause injuries to the legs, arms, or even the face and head. How can you get the settlement you need in order to pay the tens of thousands of dollars in medical bills, not to mention making up for any missed work? Here are three tips to help you maximize your payout.
- See a doctor – Without medically documented injuries, you are unlikely to receive anything in a settlement. You have to be able to prove that there are damages in connection with the injury.
- Gather proof – There are many things that can serve as proof in your personal injury case. Take pictures at the scene of the accident if possible. If they are time-stamped with the location embedded, that’s even better. Get a copy of the accident or injury report you filled out at the scene. Gather any medical bills or other expenses you have receipts for that relate to the injury.
- Call Petrov Law Firm – You want to an experienced personal injury attorney in your corner when dealing with an insurance company, which is just about always the case when a slip and fall injury occurs.
San Diego’s Personal Injury Attorneys
If you have been injured in Southern California, you can find the help you need at Petrov Law Firm. Call 619.344.0360 to get in touch with our experienced team and get started on your personal injury case today. We’re here to help when you need it most!Read More
When a pedestrian is involved in an accident and is injured because of a driver, the injuries may be very serious. Today, we will debunk a few myths regarding pedestrian injuries so that you don’t end up accepting a settlement that is too low.
- Myth 1: The vehicle has to make contact to get compensation. This one isn’t true at all. If you get hurt diving out of the way of a driver, you are not penalized for your quick reflexes. The driver is still on the hook for forcing you to dive and hurt yourself, and the insurance company should know this. Don’t let them cheat you.
- Myth 2: Only high-speed collisions cause serious injury. The driver is in a car, and you are not. The driver may not experience serious injuries at speeds of 5 mph, but you could have broken bones, a concussion, or other injuries. Be sure to get checked by a doctor, even if you can get up and walk away from the incident. Not all injuries are visible immediately.
- Myth 3: You can’t afford an attorney. It’s more like you can’t afford not to have one! A personal injury lawyer is the only one on your side when an accident like this occurs. The insurance company is going to want to pay out as little as possible, or nothing at all if they can get away with it.
Get the Help You Need as an Injured Pedestrian in Southern California
The personal injury attorneys at Petrov Law Firm in San Diego can help you to maximize your settlement. Let us help you get what you deserve from a greedy insurance company. Call 619.344.0360 and start your case now.Read More
A personal injury case involves damages due to negligence or intent of an individual, property owner, dog owner, or the like. You may experience a car accident, a slip and fall, a bite, or some other type of injury that leads to material loss. Here are some crucial pieces of information that your personal injury attorney will need in order to maximize your settlement.
- How it happened – If the injury was your own fault, it is unlikely you are due any compensation. However, if an individual, business, or public entity was responsible, then you should be able to receive compensation.
- Proof of the damages – Did you fill out an accident report, take pictures of the scene, or are there any eyewitnesses to the event? The more evidence you have, the more likely it is that an appropriate settlement can be reached.
- Direct and indirect losses – You can’t sue if you didn’t lose anything. Losses include medical bills, missed days of work, lack of ability to work, emotional turmoil, and the like. Be sure to track all of your medical expenses, regardless of whether something was covered by insurance or not.
Finding the Best Personal Injury Lawyers in San Diego
Petrov Law Firm is here to help you with your California personal injury case. Contact us right away to get your settlement as soon as possible. Just call 619.344.0360 today and schedule a consultation to see if you are eligible to receive compensation.Read More
When we talk about dangerous things that drivers do, we often focus on using smartphones, being too tired, or operating a vehicle under the influence. However, there are many other common things that people do behind the wheel that are also dangerous. Here are a few other things to avoid.
- Speeding – This is at the heart of most car accidents, especially when there is a fatality involved. The faster that vehicles are moving, the more damage that will result from a collision.
- Tailgating – This term means that the driver is too close to the vehicle in front of them. As a result, if the car in front needs to stop short, the tailgating driver is likely to rear-end them. A good rule of thumb is to leave a car length between you and the vehicle in front of you for every 10 miles per hour that you are driving.
- Eating – Keep your hands on the wheel! Eating while driving is distracting, and you simply don’t have time to drop a burger and grab the wheel when a crisis arises.
- Road rage – Driving angry causes people to do dangerous things behind the wheel. A normally safe driver may take reckless risks out of sheer frustration with other drivers. If you can’t get your rage under control, it’s time to pull over and walk it off.
If You Have Been Injured By a Dangerous Driver
Whether the other driver was involved in any of these activities or something else that is dangerous, you may be able to get your losses covered by his or her car insurance. The personal injury attorneys at Petrov Law Firm can help to ensure that the insurance company includes everything that you deserve in the settlement. Call us today at 619.344.0360 to get started.Read More
Injuries happen every day. If you have been injured in southern California, what are the first three things to consider?
- Get the medical assistance you require – In the wake of an injury, it is crucial to seek medical attention immediately. The doctors may notice damage that otherwise would not come to the surface until later on, but early treatment could be crucial to avoiding long-term damage. So even when the injuries do not seem life-threatening, you should still call your doctor right away for an exam.
- Determine who was at fault – How did the injury occur? Whether it was a car accident, a dog bite, or a slip and fall, there is usually a negligent party who needs to be held responsible for any losses that you experience as a result of the injury. Hopefully, you can get some photographic evidence at the scene, but if you were seriously injured, this might not have been possible. In this case, you will want to look for eyewitnesses or other forms of evidence of what happened.
- Get an experienced personal injury lawyer on your side – In most cases, an insurance company pays for a personal injury claim. So it is you against a big greedy corporation to get what you deserve. Therefore, you should get the help of a personal injury attorney so that you have someone fighting for you.
Experienced Personal Injury Attorneys in San Diego
Petrov Law Firm has the personal injury attorneys that can help you maximize your settlement. Get the compensation that you deserve from the insurance company. Call 619.344.0360 today to get started!Read More
When you have been injured due to someone else’s negligence or intent, you deserve full compensation for medical bills, lost wages, and other losses due to the injury. Because the laws regarding personal injuries are so specific, the best way to maximize your settlement is to find an attorney with experience in the precise type of personal injury case you are pursuing.
Here are some examples of personal injury cases so you can hire the right attorney to meet your personal circumstances.
- Motor Vehicle Accidents – This doesn’t always mean that you were a driver or a passenger. You may be a pedestrian or a cyclist injured by a driver. Plus, a motor vehicle accident is not the same thing as just saying “car accident.” You could also be involved with a tractor-trailer or a motorcycle. There are many ways that motor vehicle accidents can lead to injuries.
- Animal attacks – Dog bites, in particular, are common in California. Each state has its own laws regarding animal attacks when a pet is involved.
- Slip and fall accidents – Whether the accident occurred in a private home, at a business, or at a public entity (for example, a government building), you need an experienced attorney to help you build a case.
San Diego’s Experienced Personal Injury Attorneys
If you have been injured in any of these ways in southern California, Petrov Law Firm has the experienced attorneys that you want on your side. Give us a call today at 619.344.0360 to get your case started immediately.Read More
According to a 2019 Report by Smart Growth America, traffic deaths from motor vehicles are down more than 6%, despite the fact that the number of miles traveled is up over 8%. If we are driving more than ever and seeing fewer road fatalities in general, then you may be shocked to learn that the same study reveals a 35.4% increase in pedestrian fatalities between 2008 and 2017.
Why are pedestrian fatalities on the rise? The title of the study, Dangerous By Design, gives away what the researchers believe. The fact is that roads were built and designed with driving in mind, not walking. And many cities across the country have seen few programs developed to help keep pedestrians safe.
Where are the worst offenses? Of the 20 most dangerous cities for pedestrians, nine are in Florida. While there is only one city here in California, our state was the 16th most dangerous state to walk in, according to the research. From 2008-2017, California saw 7,127 pedestrian fatalities. That is nearly 2 per 100,000 people in the state.
What to Do if You Have Been Injured While Walking
While it is important to be careful when you are walking, the responsibility also lies with drivers to pay attention. If you have been injured in a traffic accident due to a negligent driver, you may be able to receive compensation for medical bills, missed workdays, and more. Call the experienced personal injury attorneys of Petrov Law Firm at 619.344.0360 to learn how we can help you to maximize your settlement in California.Read More
Public service announcements regarding distracted driving are not new in the state of California. The latest initiative encourages motorists to “Put Down Your Phone. Just Drive.” The effects of distracted driving can change lives in an instant. From serious injuries to fatalities, it is difficult to imagine how anyone continues to drive while using a phone in an illegal manner.
However, for those who just haven’t gotten the point yet, they may soon start to get a different kind of point – the ones that go on your license and lead to increased insurance fees. That’s right, in 2021, California is going to start applying points to distracted driving infractions if more than one occurs in a 36-month period. Each infraction will add another point, and those can add up to hundreds or even thousands of dollars per year in insurance premiums.
Will hitting drivers in the wallet finally encourage them to put down the phone and just drive? Only time will tell. But for now, it is just a reminder of how dangerous distracted driving can be and how important it is to quit this bad habit.
If You Have Been Injured in a Motor Vehicle Accident
Petrov Law Firm is here for you if you have been injured in an accident with a distracted driver. Contact us today at 619.344.0360 to get your case started. We have the experience you need when going up against an auto insurance company to get the settlement that you deserve.Read More
Each state determines its own statute of limitations laws regarding personal injury claims. In California, how long do you have to make a claim if you want to receive compensation? Here are a few different answers based on the type of settlement you are trying to secure.
- Suing a government agency – Let’s say you experienced a slip and fall accident, and the negligent party was a government agency. This is when you have to take your case to a lawyer as soon as possible. California only gives you six months to go after a settlement when a government organization is the negligent party.
- Property damage settlements – If you are settling a property damage case, you get three years to make your claim. This is common in car accidents and cases of that nature. However, it is important to remember that this only applies to the property portion of your claim. The injury claim will have to be filed faster.
- Personal injury claims – In California, you get two years to file a personal injury claim. This should allow you to tabulate the medical bills and missed work. However, some injuries incur long-term care or the inability to continue a career. Therefore, the settlement may have to estimate your continued future losses.
Personal Injury Settlements in San Diego
If you have experienced loss in southern California due to someone else’s fault or neglect, now is the time to get your case started. Call Petrov Law Firm today at 619.344.0360 and let us help you to maximize your settlement.Read More