The accident wasn’t that bad, so you declined a trip to the ER in an ambulance. After all, your car was still drivable, and you had to get to work for that important meeting. Sure, your neck was a little sore the next day or two, but that always happens with a fender bender. There’s no real cause for concern, right?
Actually, symptoms of an injury from this type of accident can take weeks or even months to arise. Head to the doctor right away if you experience any of these symptoms:
- Migraines or other headaches – This is the number one symptom of post-concussion syndrome. You may not have hit your head, but you still may have been shaken around enough for a concussion to occur.
- Vertigo – If the room seems to spin, twist, or sway on occasion, this can be another sign of the aftermath of a head or neck injury. Be careful not to fall and sustain further damage.
- Cognitive symptoms – If you have memory problems, difficulty focusing, or become easily confused in the months after your accident, these may be the symptoms of brain fog.
- Mood swings – From becoming more easily irritable to experiencing anxiety or depression, these are also symptoms that may relate to your accident.
- Insomnia – This is another common symptom of a concussion or neck injury.
Car Accident Injuries in Southern California
If you have had to seek medical attention in the wake of a car accident, the bills can pile up fast. Contact Petrov Law Firm today to get help filing for a settlement from the insurance company of the guilty driver. Call 619.344.0360 to get started.Read More
In a no-fault state (there are currently 12 in the US), every driver is required to carry insurance that covers his or her own expenses should an accident occur. California is a fault state. What does this mean?
In a fault state, the insurance of the driver who is responsible for the accident pays the expenses. Therefore, if you admit that you ran a red light and hit another car, your insurance will be paying for the other driver’s damages including medical bills, car repair, and even pain and suffering caused by the experience.
When Accident Blame Is Shared in a Fault State
In a fault state, since accidents are paid for by the offending party, what happens if both sides share some blame? The powers that be may decide either on an even split or on another percentage. For example, if the other driver ran a stop sign, but you panicked when you should have been able to get out of the way, they may assign a 70-30 or 80-20 split. In this case, you would recover most of your losses from the other person’s insurance, but your insurance would have to cover the rest.
Why You Need a Car Accident Attorney
In a fault state, proving blame can make a huge difference in the settlement amount with an insurance company. Having a personal injury attorney on your side can help you to maximize your settlement. In southern California, drivers can trust Petrov Law Firm to put our experience to work for you. Call us today at 619.344.0360 to get your case started.Read More
Sadly, the majority of car accidents are due to driver error rather than actually just being accidents. How can you avoid making some of the most common mistakes that lead to crashes? Here are three things to watch out for.
- Speeding – Speeding is at the root of the highest number of car accidents, especially those that result in deaths. Speed limits are posted for a reason, and there’s nothing wrong with driving even slower if the weather is bad.
- Distracted drivers – From texting to eating and applying makeup to lighting up a cigarette, there are tons of things that can distract a driver. While all distractions may not be illegal, you should still avoid being distracted when behind the wheel.
- DUI – Don’t drink and drive. Also, remember that marijuana use may be legal in California, but you still can’t drive high. Even some prescription medications require caution when it comes to operating a motor vehicle. If you’re not sober, you’re not up to driving.
San Diego’s Car Accident Injury Attorneys
When a car accident occurs, California law requires that fault be determined. The more you can prove it was the other driver who was at fault, the larger the settlement from the insurance company can be. Not only can you receive compensation for medical expenses, but you may also be able to collect damages for lost wages and any emotional pain and suffering that the experience caused for you. Call 619.344.0360 today and let the experienced personal injury attorneys at Petrov Law Firm help.Read More
Car accidents can be the cause of serious injuries and even death. That is why it is particularly important to drive safely when there are dangerous road conditions. Here are several situations that call for extra caution on the part of a conscientious driver.
- Bad weather – Rain, snow, or ice can make roads extremely dangerous. Be sure to leave extra room between you and the car in front of you in any of these hazardous conditions.
- Nighttime – Driving at night can be particularly dangerous. Be sure to switch to your low beams when there are cars coming in the other direction and watch out for cyclists and pedestrians who may have forgotten to wear something reflective.
- Road work – Be sure to obey the traffic signs in construction areas. They are for the safety of both drivers and workers. Road work particularly requires caution when it is being performed at night.
- Road hazards – From potholes to debris in the road, there are plenty of obstructions that can damage your car. If you can’t swerve, slow down as much as you can. For potholes, your tires will absorb the hit the best if you are going straight ahead. The side walls of your tires are not as sturdy.
Car Accident Injury Attorneys in San Diego
If you have been injured in a car accident in the San Diego Area, call the experienced personal injury attorneys at Petrov Law Firm. We can help you to receive the settlement you deserve, so call 619-344-0360 without delay.Read More
If you have been in a car accident, you may be tempted to assume your injuries are not that bad and there is no reason to go to the doctor. However, there are a few things you should watch out for in the weeks and months following an accident that could indicate an injury occurred.
- Vertigo – Vertigo is a false sensation of movement. Most people say it feels like the room is spinning. This can be an indicator that you are suffering from post-concussion syndrome.
- Headaches or migraines – Another indicator of post-concussion syndrome, this symptom usually means that you suffered either head or neck trauma.
- Brain fog – Confusion, inability to focus, and short-term memory loss are all indicators of head or neck trauma.
- Insomnia – Difficulty sleeping can indicate post-concussion syndrome, although it may also be linked to post-traumatic stress, especially if you are also having nightmares about the accident.
- Irritability and mood swings – If may be your coworkers or family members who alert you to this symptom. Take it seriously because it can be yet another indicator that an injury has occurred.
Whether it is a few days, weeks, or even months after your car accident, be sure to head to your doctor if these symptoms arise.
Personal Injury Attorneys in San Diego, CA
If you have suffered an injury in a car accident, even if the symptoms didn’t display right away, you deserve compensation from the party at fault. To deal with car insurance companies that want to pay out as little as possible, you need the help of the experienced personal injury attorneys at Petrov Law Firm. Contact us today at 619-344-0360 to schedule a consultation.Read More
In California, compensation for motor vehicle accidents depends on fault. In most cases, it is easy to determine who is at fault in an accident if one driver was distracted or breaking the law and the other was not. However, there are other times when assigning fault is a little more complicated. For example, what if the accident was caused by road debris?
Road Hazards that can Cause an Accident
Here are a few examples of road hazards or debris that can contribute to a collision:
- Potholes – A driver may not see the pothole and could hit it, thereby damaging a tire. Or a driver may end up in an accident while trying to avoid a dangerous pothole.
- Road work – When road work has been performed, traffic cones, signs, or other debris may be left behind accidentally by workers.
- Dropped items – When a truck is being used to haul items, something may fly off the back without the driver noticing.
What Determines Fault?
Here are a few things that can determine who’s fault the accident is:
- Where was the road hazard and who is responsible for it ending up there?
- Whose jurisdiction is the road? There are federal, state, and locally maintained roadways.
- Was negligence involved in leaving the debris, or did it get dropped as you arrived?
- Was the road hazard the cause of the damages?
San Diego, CA Personal Injury Attorneys
If you have been injured in an accident involving a road hazard or debris, contact Petrov Law Firm to determine if you deserve compensation. We can help you to calculate your damages and to determine where the blame lies. Call 619-344-0360 to get started today.Read More
Whether you drive for a living, commute to work every day, or just drive when you need to, driving while drowsy is a problem that you have to pay attention to. Each year, there are more than 1 million car accidents in the US that are related to falling asleep while driving.
Even if you don’t fall asleep at the wheel, being tired while driving can still have major consequences. Consider the following three concerns that driving while drowsy causes according to the CDC:
- Reaction time is decreased – When something unexpected happens, your reaction time can make the difference between a near miss and an accident.
- Inhibited decision-making ability – Can you make that yellow light before it turns red? Is that driver moving slowly enough for you to pull out in front of him? While drowsy, you may make a wrong choice.
- Reduced attention – Distracted driving is enough of a problem without drowsiness making it tougher to focus.
As you can see, being tired behind the wheel can be a real danger to you and others. Therefore, if you are feeling sleepy, please pull over and take a nap rather than trying to push through. It is better to be an hour or two late than never to arrive at all.
Have You Been Injured in a Car Accident in California?
Unfortunately, despite repeated warnings, car accidents occur every day where one of the drivers was at fault due to something like being too tired to be at the wheel. If you have been hurt by a drowsy or otherwise incapacitated driver, call Petrov Law Firm today at 619-344-0360. We help accident victims in southern California to attain the best possible settlement.Read More
Distracted drivers cause accidents that can lead to serious injury or even fatalities. How can you protect yourself and your passengers? While you can’t control other drivers, you can do your best to ensure that you are not distracted while operating your vehicle. Here are some common distractions to avoid.
- Phone – Whether a person is using a phone legally or illegally, it is still a distraction. The best thing to do is let a passenger hold your phone during the drive. If you are alone, any calls or texts can wait. If you are expecting an important call, be prepared to pull over.
- Dashboard dining – Eating at the wheel can be a big distraction, especially if it is something like a big messy burger, which is what most people stop for when on the road. Try to eat before you leave for a drive and plan time to stop and get out during long trips. It will be good to stretch your legs anyway, and it’s safer than eating and driving.
- Media – From books, magazines, and newspapers to music and video content, we are inundated with media on a daily basis. Music isn’t a bad form of media for a drive as long as you are not distracted playing with the radio dials. Reading and watching videos should wait until you arrive at your destination.
Car Accident Injury Attorneys in San Diego
If you have been injured by a distracted driver, you need the help of our California personal injury attorneys. Call Petrov Law Firm today at 619-344-0360 to learn how we can help to ensure that you receive a fair settlement.Read More
Fault in California car accidents is how the courts determine which driver’s insurance covers medical bills and other expenses. Here are some of the mistakes drivers make that can lead to serious car accidents that are completely their fault.
- Driving under the influence – Whether it is alcohol, drugs, or even some forms of prescription medication, it is always illegal to be under the influence while driving. This is particularly important to remember for drivers who were happy to see marijuana legalized in the state. Remember: it is still illegal to use marijuana while driving, to have marijuana open and accessible in the vehicle, or to be under the influence of this drug while driving.
- Speeding – This the leading cause of car accidents, including fatal accidents. Always obey the posted speed limit, especially in road construction areas.
- Distracted driving – While smartphones are the number one distraction in our technological era, there are many other ways to be distracted while driving. Everything from lighting up a cigarette to putting the finishing touches on makeup can be what takes a driver’s eyes off the road long enough for an accident to occur.
Car Accident Injury Attorneys in Southern California
If you have been injured in a car accident, the personal injury attorneys at Petrov Law Firm can help. Insurance companies always want to settle for the lowest amount possible to protect their profits, so you want an experienced lawyer in your corner to help maximize your settlement. Before you agree to anything, call 619-344-0360 to learn how we can help.Read More
When someone is injured, you may wonder who should be held responsible for the medical bills and other losses the injured person may have experienced. Let’s see how this question applies to some of the more common ways in which individuals are injured in Southern California.
- Car Accidents – Automotive accident injuries are extremely common and often lead to major medical expenses. However, California is a fault state, so liability is determined by the percent of fault the various parties share.
- Slip and Fall Injuries – Whether you slip on wet tile or trip over a run in the carpet, what needs to be determined is whether the property owner caused the issue, knew about the issue, and had enough time to respond to the issue.
- Dog Attacks – Dog bites are probably more common than you think. Children are the most likely to be bitten, so it is vital to monitor the interactions between children and animals. If a dog bite occurs, the owner may be culpable depending on the circumstances.
Personal Injury Lawyers in Southern California
If you have been injured in any of the ways mentioned in this article, the personal injury lawyers at Petrov Law Firm can help. We have experience in helping the victims of car accidents, slip and fall accidents, and dog bites receive a proper settlement. To learn more, schedule a consultation with our conveniently located San Diego and Chula Vista offices today. Just call 619-344-0360 to get started.Read More